a bit of a hack may be but when trying to work out how processes get
started, where processes are getting their info, etc from I try
something like this:

rgrep -r "\-u named" /etc/

(note in this case I needed to enclose the query string in quotes
because of the space - and escape the -u with a \ to stop rgrep
freaking out... but that's all getting off the rails a bit! :)

which will basically scan through your etc directory (where most -
all? - configuration files live) and look for any occurunces of "-u
named"

once you find a file (or multiple) that contains that particular
string then you can have a pick through there - with vim or less or
more or pico or your weapon of choice for checking out text files and
see exactly what is going on in there...

this has been very helpful for me just recently trying to track down
exactly what modem configuration scripts were causing strange init
strings to be passed to the dialler scripts... and gave me a better
understanding of how everything was working on my system as far as
pppd configuration stuff...

anyway - try rgrepping your etc directory - it can be very educational!

:)

HTH - dan.

--

        Nitro - 3D Visualisation, Graphics & Animation
                Ph (+61 2) 9810 5177 - Fx (+61 2) 9810 0199