On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:35:41PM -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:
> syed riyaz wrote:

> > Dear friend,

> > Hi !

> > I beleive you will be in pink of health & in good mood.

> > I have recently installed the Red Hat LINUX 5.0 on my
        PC(Pentium/100-Mhz, 32-MB Ram,1.2-GB HDD,DCS Sound Card,
        JVC-3,600 bps external Modem, SVGA Moniter, mouse etc.).

> I have been using linux since 4.5 and that was what seems like a
        Looong time ago. Certainly a long time in linux development
        time.  Before answering your questions I woul like to suggest
        that you get a copy of RH at least version 6.2.  In the redhat
        world it has been my experience that x.0 versions can be
        relatively buggy.  The

        You are using Linux since 4.5 and your line wrap on E-Mail
still sucks???  Time to get with the program...

        I've got you beat.  My first distro was SLS on 5-1/4 floppies,
my first InfoMagic Linux developer's resource was on a single CD, and
(up until recently) I had a RedHat 3.0 system still in PRODUCTION.

> functionality of the 6.2 ditribution from install to UI is light years
        ahead of  5.0.  Not quite as big a difference as windows 3.x to
        95 since the underlying os is stable in Linux but from a UI
        standpoint easily as big a deal.

        I agree that the sweet spot, right now, is RedHat 6.2.  Anything
earlier requires TOO many patches to be safe (security) and 7.0 is so
radioactive that people are talking about SuperFund cleanup money to
just to fix the problems (ignoring the reproductive problems of those
who venture to try it out)...  :-)

        RedHat 5.0 is deprecated and gone.  It's not longer supported
and you won't see security fixes for it.  The GOOD news is that is so
out of date that it's unlikely that any self respecting cracker will
put any serious effort into busting it.  Actually no need to, though.  If
you don't patch it up, it's not even a challenge to bust it wide open
right to the root level.  It doesn't even qualify as a speed bump or for
hacker bonus points.

        It's been my experience with RedHat (and I'm sure to get flamed
for this) is that any .0 release is radioactive as hell and unlikely
to be stable.  Certainly 7.0 takes this to all time new heights (God! what
a mess).  The .1 releases are "stable" but likely to be full of security
holes.  The 5.1 and 6.1 releases certainly qualified as the "network OS
from hell" in that regard.  Being a security researcher, I wait with
baited breath for 7.1.  :-)  I would not recommend 7.0 to the faint of
heart or 7.1 (when it comes out) to the inexperienced.  The x.2 release
seems to be when RedHat comes out with something sensible that isn't
going to score someone on Attrition's (the hacked website mirror site) hit
of the day club.

        Rule of thumb for me...  RedHat .0 releases are for the developers,
the adventurous, and the foolish.  RedHat .1 releases are perfectly
acceptable for workstations and internal systems protected from the big
bad world outside in the general Internet.  RedHat .2 releases are
generally ready to play with the big boys.

> The primary reason that the whole world puts up with the quirks is that
        the damn thing works, and continues to work.  I decided to finally
        upgrade my linux mail server for our office the other day
        (RedHat 6.0) and realized it had been up for 234 days with no
        problems.  In fact I am a little embarrased that it went that
        long since I
> had upgraded the kernel.  There had been several updates done to the
        box including network drivers but the kernel itself had not been
        upgraded.  Try that with any windows product.  While the upgrades
        come out slow enough to wait that long the machines won't run
        any where near that long before crashing.

        I would not trust 6.0.  Not even for a workstation with no services.
Too many danger points and too much that needs upgrading.  Take that puppy
to 6.2 PLUS all the upgrades and you've got a shot.

        I do love the fact that it is routine for even CRAPPY Linux systems
to run a year or two with no problems when top-of-the-line WindBlows
systems can only run a few months with an experienced sysadmin camped
out on top of them riding herd.  :-)

> I guess what I am saying is that the developers working on Linux and
        the various distributions strive to get the underlying code
        working well before concentrating on the eye candy.

        The Linux community pays a LOT more attention to security than
the proprietary vendors do.  When it breaks, we FIX IT.  But we can't
shove it down your throat.  People have to stay up to date.  5.x blows
goats at this point.  6.0 and 6.1 is an invitation to "come hack me, I'm
easy and my legs are spred".  6.2 plus updates will keep you out of trouble.

        Start from there...  Don't start from bear skins and stone knives...

        Disclaimer...  I don't want to sound "down" on RedHat.  RedHat is
actually a cut above the average here.  There are lots of distros which
are a whole lot worse.  There are a few that are consistantly better
(RedHat + Bastille works for me) while some, like TurboLinux, have their
ups and downs (currently down).

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/