One person's opinion:  rpc.statd is only needed if running an NFS
server.  No NFS server should be 'exposed' to the Internet.  NFS and
components have been a security nightmare for over a decade now.   If you
need to run NFS for an internal net, make sure you have a good firewall
between you and the net to block all external access to NFS and
components.  Then do all the security updates as the second line of
defense.

- rick warner