On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 04:18:45PM +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>               Hi Mike,

> > >  Well, my RedHat 7.0 came with wu-ftpd-2.6.1-6 (this is not the respin). I
> > > guess for 7.0 only the rpc.statd is an issue.
> >
> >  I thought I also saw something about LPRng and I thought that
> > was one of the ones fixed between first edition and respin.

>  There is an update available for LPRng for 7.0. But I double checked: There
> is no update available for nfs-utils.
>  So I am still wondering why this worm would affect RedHat 7.0. It targets wu-
> ftpd and nfs-utils, but both seem to be up to date in the (first edition) of
> RedHat 7.0 that I downloaded.

        The worm very definitely contains an unstripped binary of the
exploit against the version of LPRng that was in the original first
edition 7.0.  I doubt it was there just to add bulk to the transfer.
I think that it's safe to say that this thing CAN propagate through
the LPRng exploit.  Add that to the list of attack targets.

>                                       Bye,

>                                       Leonard.

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/