On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Thornton Prime wrote:
>

> > The only legitimate reason for rebooting a Unix system would be for a
> > kernel upgrade.
> >
> > Anything else should and is viewed as a bug in the OS.
> >
> > thornton
> >
> I don't know about that.  I consider adding/removing/changing
> most hardware to be a reasion to shutdown and reboot.  I realy don't
> like to swap cards, or change hard drives with the power on.
> (If the hard drives are in a hot swapable setup, then I don't mind.)
> The thought of swaping a vedio card or adding memory with the power on
> gives me goosebumps...  ;-)

Good point. ;)

While many Unix-based operating systems support hot-plugging hardware,
support in Linux is limited because Linux is primarily targeted
for PC commodity hardware, which can't support hotplugging. I regularly
change RAM, swap out CPUs and add NICs and drives to our Sun machines
without taking the machines down.

Linux is perfectly capable of hotswapping hardware where the hardware
supports it. This includes some hot-swap PCI chipsets, USB, PCMCIA and
others.

Since everyone is sharing their uptime, here's mine:

$ uptime
  6:30pm  up 23 days,  7:30,  9 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.04, 0.00

It's been up continuiously since I upgraded to the 2.4.0 kernel. The
notable thing about mine is that there is no UPS and I live in California,
and this is my desktop system, that my 5 year old and 3 year old pound on
and play games on. Even though I'm having problems with my video
acceleration, and X has died repeatedly, the system has stayed up. :)

thornton