On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Gustav Schaffter wrote:

> > It's been up continuiously since I upgraded to the 2.4.0 kernel. The
> > notable thing about mine is that there is no UPS and I live in California,
> > and this is my desktop system, that my 5 year old and 3 year old pound on
> > and play games on.
>
> Do you really mean they don't have their own PCs? My son is four years
> old and I've just upgraded his PC from DOS (can power off :-0 to Linux
> (duct tape over power switch ;-).

Duct tape didn't work for me. My kids have a fascination with sticky
things and with peelable things. My wallpaper is all but gone. But my
Linux machine is secure behind a sturdy desk.

We tried Windows and Mac, but the kids always seemed to be able to destroy
the desktop settings, despite third party protection software. Linux is
bulletproof. The damage the do is their own.

Kids are by far the best test of the reliability of a system. I still
haven't figured out how my son (when he was 2) gave a BSOD to an NT box
that was screen locked, when he had only access to the keyboard and there
were no background tasks running. #$?!

thornton