Hi,

You can see some info about the number of open files by

[root@math fs]# pwd
/proc/sys/fs
[root@math fs]# cat file-nr
9063    1511    16384

The first number (9063) is the  maximum number of files
 that have been open at one time since last boot.

The second (1511) is the current number of open files.

The third (16384)is the maximum number of files that can be open at one
time.

The third number is controlled by the contents of /proc/sys/fs/file-max. I
increased mine to 16384 by the command

echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

which I put in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to be executed at boot time.

--
John S. Weber

System Administrator
Center for Computational Mathematics