Gentlemen:

I specifically refer to those Gentlemen that responded to my query:

Mike Burger
Hal Burgiss
Thierry Itty
Gustav Schaffter
John Aldrich
Rodney Fulk

Thank you all for your informative replies. Because of your discussion
of my query I am beginning to realize the extent of my naivety
concerning DSL and networks. I have learned a lot from your discussion.

I am apparently looking for a modem. Since the computer that accessed
DSL was stolen, the TI ADSL NETWORK adapter (modem?) went with it. I am
still paying for DSL service with no means to access it. I want to get
back "on".

That said, where can I get an economical DSL modem? Checking
Pricewatch/Modems results in too many 56k modems and no DSL modems.
Checking Pricewatch/networking results in DSL routers, all requiring DSL
modems but not offering any modems. Doing a 'net search for DSL modems
results in a miriad of discussions of DSL but no modem sales. Contacting
Ameritech (my provider) results in a lot of BS about not supporting
Linux and refusal to sell me a $350 external modem. Doing all this on a
28.8 connection is painful.

Then there is the statement made by John Aldrich:

> Yeah. OTOH, the Netgear, in combination with an external
> DSL modem would be a wonderful combo. ;-)
>         John

>From what I've gleaned during all my DSL searching, John, you are
absolutely correct. However, your statement suggests to me that you may
be speaking from the Windows world where every new task requires a new
major purchase. I thought that Linux could do most tasks without the
additional purchases but maybe a minimal adapter purchase.

Reinforcing this thought is reflected by Hal Burgiss:

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> Being a Linux list, we might mention how well Linux performs as
> router, gateway, firewall, and DHCP server, http server, mail server,
> ftp server ;) And it does PPPoE (choose your poison). Infinitely
> configurable, and reasonably priced to boot.

That statement is in essence one of the major reasons I am attempting to
learn and use Linux. Doesn't that statement ultimatly mean I don't need
all the expensive hardware required for a comparable Windows setup?

Being a Linux/network/DSL newbie, I'm not sure. I don't know what I
need. I have all Linux boxes, 10/100 NICs, cat 5 cables and an 8 port
10/100 hub ready to build a network. The only thing lacking is the
hardware to connect to DSL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was planning to use an old 486DX50
machine for DSL/gateway/firewall/router connected to the hub that
connected the Linux boxes. I was also thinking of eventually getting The
NIC (www.thinknic.com) to serve that purpose since it is already an
economical Linux box.

Obviously I'm missing something. Would you knowledgeable gentlemen be
kind enough to help me?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this lengthy explanation and
request for help, I'm mearly attempting to learn through discussion.

Thank you.