On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:46:25PM -0600, Julian Opificius wrote:
> That much I knew ... it's a data file containing links between IPs and
> friendly names. But who uses it?

It's used in small networks.  It's also used as a "shim" to fix bad DNS
I just moved to DirecTV, and found I suddenly can't send mail to him.
Some poking with 'nslookup' and 'dig' showed that one of DirecTV's own
DNS servers is returning a bad IP address for his domain.  Until they
figure out what's broken, I've just entered his domain and correct IP
address in my server's local hosts file.  Voila!

> Right, but somebody uses the info in /etc/hosts, don't they?

Wrong, as I said--it DOES resolve named-to-address, just as does DNS.
The order in which the resolver routines that actually USE lookup services
consult these sources is controlled by /etc/host.conf, which is usually
set to use the local hosts file first.

> I thought (don't ask me where I got this idea) that bind (ie.named) looked
> in /etc/hosts first before going to an upstream DNS server.

This is usually true because of the default ordering in /etc/host.conf

> Don't know what you mean by that. Is the "hosts" file only looked at
> by the machine upon which it resides, then?

Said elsewhere, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce--yes, this is true.

> So who is it that looks at /etc/hosts then?
> Help me out here ...

Do a 'man -k resolv'.  Look at all the man pages that are mumbling about
"resolver routines".

> There's the DNS service, ...

You have this essentially correct.  The only misconception I see--and the
earlier poster also seems to be carrying this--is that the resolver is NOT
the DNS service.  The resolver routines USE data sources to determine
address mappings--and these sources are usually only 'hosts' and 'bind'.

Note that any other name resolution scheme will be consulted, if it's
named in host.conf and honors the resolver interface.

> Who uses /etc/resolv.conf? Another daemon?

This file is used by the resolver routines to determine the order in
which DNS servers are consulted when trying to resolve a name.  Do
'man 5 resolver'.

> Basically, how does a machine on the LAN get resolution to an IP
> from a friendly name for a) another machine on the LAN, and b)
> a machine somewhere out on the Internet ?

It depends.  If the default /etc/host.conf configuration of "hosts,
bind" is in effect, then /etc/hosts will be consulted first, then DNS.
If the name isn't a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), and a 'search'
directive is in the /etc/resolv.conf file, that will be tacked on if
the name doesn't resolve by itself.

But in either case, the order of consultation of sources is identical.

> Maybe if you could also tell me where WINS fits into all this, that would
> help a lot too!

WINS is MicroSoft's own name resolution service.  It serves, via different
mechanisms, exactly the same purpose as DNS or hosts--reconcile machine
names to addresses.  Its native mode, however, is NETBIOS addressing,
not IP, although there is DNS over WINS.  I believe even MicroSoft
is deprecating this as time goes on, but it'll probably never go away
totally.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat