Actually, the assignment order is determined by the kernel itself.  I
had an incident where botting to an updated kernel reversed the eth0/1
binding to the physical card.  Booting back to the older card reverted
them back.

The best sure fire way to bind them would be:

1) use different model cards
2) load the drivers as modules & modify the /etc/modules.conf file
accordingly.  This puts more control in your hands rather than the
kernel.

-Rob

> At 11:20 AM 1/9/2002 -0800, Jackrabbit Slim wrote:
> >Thanks, I got them configured.  One more question:  How can I tell which
> >card (physically on the motherboard) is eth0 and eth1.  Are they
> >automatically assigned in a certain order (e.g. top to bottom)?
>
> There is a deliberate order, but you may need to get the motherboard docs
> to figure it out. Or you could disconnect one cable and see which network
> connection you lose.
>
> Tony
> --
> Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>