On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:25:54 -0600 (CST)
Vidiot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

> >That's an interesting question... I have a RH7.1 server with three
> >3c59x NICs and upon a reboot, found that assignments had all changed.
> > It would be nice that it would stay consistant between reboots
> > (though the reboots and reassignments occur rarely).  This
> > reassigments play havoc for a real-time shop like mine where
> > communication traffic from one network relys on the traffic comming
> > from the other network.  Now upon rebooting, it is required for me
> > to check the eth's for proper assignments.  smbinyon
>
> That is interesting, since I have two NIC cards, different brands, and
> when I have rebooted, nothing moved.

And I have 4 different brands of NICs. Any combination in which I had 2
of them would stay the same until I upgraded the kernel. They would then
switch ether postions. I finally swapped the cards in their slots and
had no more trouble with them until I went to 7.2 and back to 7.1 (still
using the same 2 NICs that were working fine for ages). I haven't gotten
around to fixing it yet, but no hurry. My kludge works fine under all
conditions.

--
Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer.