--- David Talkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> nit etc wrote:
>
> >> The real question is, why?  What are you trying
> >> accomplish?
> >
> >Because NAT cannot deal with all protocols.
> Sometimes,
> >my wife wants to use Netmeeting on her laptop. Yes,
> >know theres a kernel patch available to support the
> >H.x protocol, but its buggy.
> >
> >Anyhow, I'd like to know if there is a solution to
> my
> >question, regardless of how good a idea it is.
>
> Ok, fair enough.  Since you have a good reason to
> NAT-not, you're
> stuck with only two possible nodes anyway, so why
> not just use
> individual firewalls on the workstations?  Yes, I
> know, I prefer to
> have something in front of a Winbox if possible, but
> the alternative
> is probably dhcrelay (see the man page for it).
> Trouble is, even if
> it works, you'd need two more IP addresses, one
> inside and one out, on
> the gateway.  I've never gone down that road, myself

I have another laptop from work that I use at home
sometimes, and I'd hate to firewall and administer all
my machines.

After putting more thought to this, I realized that if
my Linux box were to act as a 'real' gateway, since
that is what I want it to do, I'd need to set both my
NICs on the Linux box to real IP addresses, but since
Verizon does DHCP I dont know if I could set my second
NIC(internal network) to obtain a real IP from
Verizon, since a DHCP request is only sent out on the
line that the NIC is connected to...