Nit,

When you say subnet, are you referring to a subnetted address block or
the subnet mask?

Two subnets can have the same mask yet they are different subnets, or
networks.

Routing, by definition,  is between networks.  A basic route table entry
looks like this:

network address ->mask->interface to forward to (please, no flames about
weighted routes, flags, metrics, etc : ))

The two routes your suggesting would look like this example:

192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 if0
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 if1

So where do packets for 192.168.0.247 go?  The router has two valid
routes and results would be unpredictable.

If you're thinking about a route entry for a single host:

192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 if0
192.168.0.247 255.255.255.255 if1

This doesn't work because broadcast traffic (traffic to 192.168.0.255)
would either never get to 192.168.0.247 or the router would see two
valid routes.

Clear as mud yet? :)

nit etc wrote:

<snip>

> I dont see why I would require two different subnets.
> Gateways can definetly be configured to route traffic
> between
> two networks with identical subnets.
>
> However, in my case, I do believe that things will
> work if both my NICs have an IP from Verizon, and I
> could add static routes for them with the mask of 32.
> The only problem is getting my other machines to
> obtain an IP via DHCP.

<snip>