Nit,

Your thinking and that's good!

I'm not sure if you see the whole picture though.

route table: (using cisr for brevity 255.255.255.255= /32 255.255.255.0
=/24)

192.168.1.1/32 if0
192.168.1.2/32 if1
192.168.1.3/32 if1
default 192.168.1.4/32 if0

ifconfig:

if0 inet 192.168.1.1/32
if1 inet 192.168.1.2/32

Remember: any address/subnet mask set in ifconfig will be added as a
route in the route table.

Example:

if0 encounters a packet for 192.168.1.3.  The mask on if0 tells the ip
stack that 192.168.1.3 is not in if0's network so it forwards it to the
route code.   The route table says 'forward to if1.'  If1 encounters a
packet for 192.168.1.3.  Since the  mask if1 tells the ip stack that
192.168.1.3 is not in the same network as if1, it will get sent back to
the routing code and the packet never gets to the laptop.

Ask your self this: what happens when the network information on a host
doesn't match the network information in it's gateway?  What happens
when you assign a /32 subnet mask to a host?