On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 14:12, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> Emmanuel Seyman writes:
> >On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 02:42:27PM -0500, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >> Tried that. It doesn't work - keeps dying part way through, saying
> >> that I need authorization.  It's only good for one box, anyway.
> >
> >up2date isn't the only way to update your system.
> >You can also download the updates from a mirror near you and
> >apply them yourself.
>
> Yup.  And I can write my own cron job to daily check the updates site, compare
> it with installed rpms, and alert me to what I need to update.

How's this for a script?

#!/bin/sh

rpm -ivh \
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/enigma/apt/apt-0.3.19cnc55-fr7.i386.rpm

cat > /etc/cron.daily/apt-upgrade <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
apt-get update >/dev/null 2>&1
apt-get upgrade -S | grep '  from  '
EOF

chmod +x /etc/cron.daily/apt-upgrade
/etc/cron.daily/apt-upgrade

########

Installs apt, and sets it up to email you every day if there are
updates.  All you have to do is log in and run:
apt-get upgrade

If you want less involvement, just run 'apt-get upgrade' in the script.
: )