At 5/7/2002 01:24 AM +0200, you wrote:
>Hit the nearest ftp site for the Powertools and get the rpm for mirror.
>Install it and edit /etc/mirror.defaults to suit you.
>Then create a config file to mirror Red Hat's updates.
>You can then run `mirror <config_file>` every once in a while
>(what I do at home) or put it in /etc/cron.daily (what I do at work).

Try to avoid doing this on a daily basis; much better is to do it once a
week during the middle of the night, and then trigger it manually when you
know there is a particular update you want.

Mirroring daily seriously increases the bandwidth drain on the mirror
servers (especially since you get bunches of packages you don't even have
installed!), thereby raising everyone's cost of supporting Linux in general
and Red Hat in particular. And BTW, the more people that do this, the
slower everyone's downloads become.

In short, it's rude as hell. Ideally, get only the updates *you* need by
using up2date. If you wish to mirror or need to mirror, then make sure that
you are supplying more than just one or two computers so that you don't hog
a bunch of Net space for kicks.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz