On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:02:20AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Glen Lee Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > 5) Having a tight firewall is like living in a fenced in yard.  No one
> > can get in, but you can't get out.  I have no desire to live on an
> > island.
>
> I found it a big pain in the butt fussing with ipchains and then
> iptables too so finally got a hardware firewall/router.
[...]

> It is what is known as `statefull' and allows full NATing with fairly
> simple choices on a java based interface.
>
> That just means it knows what connections go to which machine and how
> to translate them.  It is a switched hub which is one step toward
> security by itself.  The NATing just means you can earmark an internal
> machine as a server of just about any type, and have the router send
> connections on that port to the earmarked machine only.
[...]

No fancy Java-based interface, but you can get stateful firewalling and NAT
with an OpenBSD machine as well - and those folks have a good track record
and - contrary to Linux, unfortunately - *excellent* documentation and
man pages. I've been using it on an old Sparc Classic as firewall for my
small home network for quite some time. See http://www.opensbsd.org

My EUR0.02,

Thomas
                                       ...'cause only lusers quote signatures!