    bh> On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 18:34, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
    >> At 5/7/2002 01:24 AM +0200, you wrote:
    >> >Hit the nearest ftp site for the Powertools and get the rpm for mirror.
    >> >Install it and edit /etc/mirror.defaults to suit you.
    >> >Then create a config file to mirror Red Hat's updates.
    >> >You can then run `mirror <config_file>` every once in a while
    >> >(what I do at home) or put it in /etc/cron.daily (what I do at work).
    >>
    >> Try to avoid doing this on a daily basis; much better is to do it once a
    >> week during the middle of the night, and then trigger it manually when you
    >> know there is a particular update you want.
    >>
    >> Mirroring daily seriously increases the bandwidth drain on the mirror
    >> servers (especially since you get bunches of packages you don't even have
    >> installed!), thereby raising everyone's cost of supporting Linux in general
    >> and Red Hat in particular. And BTW, the more people that do this, the
    >> slower everyone's downloads become.
    >>
    >> In short, it's rude as hell. Ideally, get only the updates *you* need by
    >> using up2date. If you wish to mirror or need to mirror, then make sure that
    >> you are supplying more than just one or two computers so that you don't hog
    >> a bunch of Net space for kicks.

    bh> This makes it sound like I am downloading each file every time I run
    bh> mirror.  I am not.  I only get new files once and then only check it
    bh> each time I run mirror.  I have not put it in a cron job but run it
    bh> whenever I get a notification there is an update.  I have intended to
    bh> run it nightly though.  Am I missing something?  I also use :
    bh>  recurse_hard=true
    bh> because in my reading I found references that it takes a little more
    bh> bandwidth but MUCH less processing time on the remote machine.  Is this
    bh> true in your opinion?

    bh> we have around 40  redhat boxes and about to ad 10 more and to think
    bh> that everytime I add another I would have to re-download the updates is
    bh> seriously crazy.  I only have a dsl connection at the office.

    bh> If I am in error in my understanding of how mirror works please
    bh> enlighten me.

Nope, IMHO you are doing what you should instead of running something
like up2date on each machine.
Not sure how this thread really got started, but I also have a local
mirror of updates which I use to update my complete network, along
with a couple of other networks locally that I provide support.

I only download new updates when they are added to the updates, and
in my case I even check for large rpm updates, that I don't require
and don't download those.

--
Ray Curtis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.ccux.com