>>>>> "bh" == Brian Henning <Henning> writes:

    bh> Hello,
    bh> I am trying to get fetchmail to fetch my email and put it in my inbox on my
    bh> redhat box but i am having some problems.  I get a error message of 'SMTP
    bh> connect to localhost failed' as shown below. I am pretty sure I have it
    bh> configured properly on the fetchmail side (below). Do i need to have
    bh> sendmail installed and configured to use fetchmail? I am not too familiar
    bh> with sendmail or fetchmail. Can someone give me a general overview on what i
    bh> need to do?

Well you need some kind of smtdaemon such as sendmail. When you have
this type of question, rpm -q --requires XXX.rpm and the manpage or
the packages website are very helpful and definitely a must read.
Also fetchmailconf can be your friend in configuring your .fetchmailrc
file.

>From the manpage:

  As  each  message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers
       it via SMTP to port 25 on the machine  it  is  running  on
       (localhost), just as though it were being passed in over a
       normal TCP/IP link.   The  mail  will  then  be  delivered
       locally  via  your system's MDA (Mail Delivery Agent, usu­
       ally sendmail(8) but your system may use a  different  one
       such  as  smail, mmdf, exim, or qmail).  All the delivery-
       control  mechanisms  (such  as  .forward  files)  normally
       available  through  your  system  MDA  and  local delivery
       agents will therefore work.

Fetchmail, is a very stable package and is very easy to configure.
There are also many many sites with info, especially:

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/

--
Ray Curtis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.ccux.com