What i do is to leave the smtp address blank.
Pine then use the sendmail on the Linux desktop.
As long as the firewalls allow it, the mail will go out to
the other smtp server directly.
use h to see where this mail has travled.
That is turn full header display on in pine.
hth Willem

On Thu, 16 May 2002, dbrett wrote:

> What does Pine use for sending email?  The reason for the question, is I
> use linux as my desktop.  I was able to configure the companies email
> server (exchange) as the smtp-server.  Once the exchange server was
> configured to stop relaying, I could no longer have a smtp-server
> configured.  This solved the problem of send email to most people in the
> office.
>
> The one problem I have not solved is sending email to people at another
> office.  This office is using lotus notes and does not accept email only
> from internal servers.
>
> david

Willem van der Walt
Information Services Directorate