[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
> Behalf Of David Talkington
> Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 3:43 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: redhat 7.3 and performance

> Duane Clark wrote:
>
> > > The case is not that I want screaming fast desktop, but I feel I
want at
> > > least something that is as fast as ms-winXP. At the moment RedHat
is not
> > > coming close to that. Booting still takes minutes and even opening
> > > applications like terminal or mozilla takes nearly 1 minute.
>
> This smells of a networking problem.  Make sure your IP address and
> hostname are in /etc/hosts, and that there are no typos there.  (Post
it
> if you'd like assistance with that.)  Ensure that 'localhost', your
> hostname, and your hostname.domain (if you've assigned one) all
resolve.

> - -d

As David Said, it may be networking.  I just did a 7.3 install and
although it detected everything and ran fine, it was very slow.
I finally traced it down the the WRONG network card driver being
installed (assumed) during install, and it had heaps of errors.  Once I
installed the correct driver, it worked great.

In my case a simple check with "ifconfig" told me I had networking
errors (High error count on the eth0 interface).

You may want to look into something similar.

Rgds,
Darryl