On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 08:04, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 20:59, David Talkington wrote:
>
> > What it does care about is reaching all other hosts on the network, and
> > if your assignments are truly dynamic, then you're interfering with
> > that.  Some other host may next time have the IP which resolves to that
> > name.
>
> Assign a hostname that doesn't appear in DNS if you don't have control
> of your network.

Not to drag this out... Just thought I'd finish the thought:

As someone else pointed out (and reminded me), X uses your hostname in
its authentication/access control mechanisms.  If your hostname changes
while you're in an X session, it breaks.

>From my point of view, automatically changing the hostname of a machine
is just a flawed thing to do.  It's illogical.  Machines have
hostnames.  Network interfaces have network addresses.