On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 15:18, David Talkington wrote:

> Is that really what it says?  If you don't have at least this:
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> then therein lies your problem.

In addition to the localhost entry, you should have an entry for your
own hostname.  If you're using DHCP and it's assigning you a hostname,
you might see a performance improvement if you set a hostname in the
network-config tool and add a line in /etc/hosts for that name as well.

The /etc/hosts file on the machine I'm on now looks like:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1               herald.dragondsawn.net herald