Okay, I no longer know what else to do.  I have two machines running RH7.3,
and several others running versions between 7.0 and 7.2.  None of them are
having problems except for the two 7.3 ones.

    Whenever I want to make an outbound connection, say through lynx,
ncftp/ftp, it just sits there for a long time and eventually I get a message
back telling me it couldn't establish a connection.  Now, before you start
telling me to check my iptables settings, let me point this out:  One of the
machines has _nothing_ in terms of any firewall scripts, or iptables.  It's
basically wide open.  Except only port 22 has something listening to it, all
other services are shut off.  The other machine has an iptables setup on it
which is basically:

----------

# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source      destination
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere    anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere    anywhere     state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere    anywhere     tcp option=!2 \
                                                 reject-with tcp-reset
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere    anywhere     tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere    anywhere     udp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere    anywhere     tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere    anywhere     udp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere    anywhere     tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere    anywhere     udp dpt:http

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

    My resolvers are working fine.  In fact I can run dig/host/nslookup and get
instant feedback from my DNS servers.  Yet, I can't, for the life of me, figure
out why lynx/ncftp/ftp and others just time out and not do anything...on BOTH
machines.

    This is a (custom) server setup, so don't ask me to run mozilla or any
other GUI program because they're just not installed.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130