> P.S. M$'s suggestion of using NETBUE on XP is a farce.
> Uninstall it. NetBue is dead. It should all communicate just
> fine over IP. (Samba does).

I don't think it was Netbeui that was referred to,
but netbios over tcp/ip, which is different.

netbios basically carries the MS junk that Samba talks,
and has been shoe-horned over the years to be carried within either
netbeiu (yes, I don't know
how to spell it either) or IPX or TCP/IP (port 139) and UDP 137-138.

>From Win2k, MS used a native tcp/ip implementation on port 445
that they named CIFS, but you can install "netbios over tcp/ip"
support for backwards compatibility. So the suggestion from MS
may have been quite sensible.
I don't know samba's current CIFS support.

Don't trust the details here, go to
 www.samba.org -> documentation -> and follow your nose.

Cameron