On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:12:39PM +0100, Bastiaan Welmers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where I can find the system requirements / advised system
> properties
> for any release of RedHat Linux? For example, until which version can I install
> on
> an i386 8MB Ram?

Actually, the requirements are on the Red Hat web site (after a bunch of
whining by people like me).  I believe the current requirement (but
haven't confirmed it) is 64MB ram for text mode, and 128MB for
graphical, with 192MB recommended for graphical.  A Pentium or better is
required.

There is *no* safe version of Red Hat Linux that can be installed on a
386 with 8MB Ram.  All versions that old have serious security holes.

I believe your best bet at this stage is to replace the hardware with
something manufactured in the last 5 years.  Even a 5-year old system -
which was typically a Pentium 200 or better - can be upgraded to 64MB
Ram.  I finally got rid of a 7-year old P166 with 48MB earlier this year
for $20.  A friend gave me a PentiumPro 200 with 64MB to give to another
friend a few months ago.  eBay has multiple systems that meet the
requirements with a Buy-it-Now price of around $40-50 (which is around the
price of a Red Hat Linux box set).

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--