Don't give up on the 386.  There are several minimalist Linux web sites
out there from which you can get some solid advice.  Also, you don't have
to stick with Red Hat.  Look for an older slackware installation set that
you can download to floppies.  There are hundreds of different
distributions out there - pick one thats right for your set up and prove
the bigger is better synics wrong!