I think versioning plugin is a great idea and I bet there're many people like me waiting for such a plugin. However, I have few questions;

what happens when I delete a file? should I loose all history of the file with such action?

if there's an undelete plugin, what kind of hooks needed so undelete recovers the full state of the file with history.

another concern is backup; if I backup the file or the entire directory (or drive), is it transparent to the backup app, or something extra needed to be done to backup the history of the file?

if you store all the history in  a sub direcotry let's say .rev and make it generic (and hence visible) to everyone, the above problems will go away.

for example filename.ext deltas could be stored in  .rev/filename- rev-date-time.delta with base rev in .rev/filename-rev-date-time.ext

correct me if I'm missing something, because I don't know the plugin mechanism of reiser4.

-B

On 1/12/06, Jonathan Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 22:44 -0800, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Hans Reiser wrote:
> >  I am skeptical that having it occur with every
> >write is desirable actually.
> >

> Consider the case where you type cat file1 >> file2.  This will produce
> a version of file2 for every 4k that is in file1, because (well I didn't
> look at the bash source, but I would guess) it appends in 4k incremental
> writes rather than one big write.  Versioning on file close makes more
> sense
[snip]

Not that my opinion means anything. :-) But I agree with Hans that file
close is the place to create the new version.  The plugin should track
the writes (and mmap flushes) between file open and close, then on file
close it can process everything into a reverse binary diff to save
permanently.
--
Jonathan Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eSoft, Inc.