On Thursday 12 January 2006 03:02 pm, you wrote:

 Please remember the plugin it's in an earlier design phase, and the answers

> can change, but right now this is what I think:
> > I think versioning plugin is a great idea and I bet there're many people
> > like me waiting for such a plugin. However, I have few questions;
> >
> > what happens when I delete a file? should I loose all history of the file
> > with such action?

 I think the history should  go away too, since history will be stored as
deltas.

> > if there's an undelete plugin, what kind of hooks needed so undelete
> > recovers the full state of the file with history.

 Undelete plugin is for future work. right now I'm thinking  that if there
 is mechanism to track down the versioning info of a file no matter the
 directory it's located,  then this should not be a problem.

> > another concern is backup; if I backup the file or the entire directory
> > (or drive), is it transparent to the backup app, or something extra
> > needed to be done to backup the history of the file?

 don't know right now. will come with more answers on next days.

> > if you store all the history in  a sub direcotry let's say .rev and make
> > it generic (and hence visible) to everyone, the above problems will go
> > away.
> >
> > for example filename.ext deltas could be stored in  .rev/filename-
> > rev-date-time.delta with base rev in .rev/filename-rev-date-time.ext

 But what happens if i type:
 $ mv filename.ext ../
 then the entire file revision tree must be copied. that's why i mention the
 idea of mechanism to track down the versioning info of a file.

> > correct me if I'm missing something, because I don't know the plugin
> > mechanism of reiser4.
Thanks a lot for the questions.