Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
Hi Yoanis, good to see you're still pursuing this.

On January 11, 2006 02:59 pm, Yoanis Gil Delgado wrote:

I would second Hans' suggestion about a "..../version/snapshot" file which would essentially act like a "cvs commit" on that file. I'd suggest that there be two similar versioning plugins, one which automatically versions after each write, and one which only does it when explicitly asked to. See the fibration plugin type for an example of this.

Sounds good. I'd propose a third: auto-versioning with optional commits. Every commit nukes all previous auto-verisons and adds a long-term version. That is:

The file

foo/.../version/1234

would be the version before

foo/.../version/auto/1

And if you committed

foo/.../version/auto/5678

it would become

foo/.../version/1235

and

foo/.../version/auto/*

would be nuked.

That way, you can protect yourself from doing something extremely stupid, such as "rm file", without having to go back to a manual version, while at the same time having a sane set of manual versions (where you know you didn't do something *that* stupid) to keep your disk usage sane, and to make it easier to go back and find something that genuinely was a previous version, and not just an "oops, the cat stepped on the keyboard and nuked all my changes" version.