On 29-Aug-06, at 4:03 PM, David Masover wrote:

Hans Reiser wrote:
David Masover wrote:
  John Carmack is pretty much the only superstar programmer in video
games, and after his first fairly massive attempt to make Quake 3 have two threads (since he'd just gotten a dual-core machine to play with)
actually resulted in the game running some 30-40% slower than it did
with a single thread.
Do the two processors have separate caches, and thus being overly fined
grained makes you memory transfer bound or?

It wasn't anything that intelligent.  Let me see if I can find it...

Taken from
http://techreport.com/etc/2005q3/carmack-quakecon/index.x?pg=1

"Graphics accelerators are a great example of parallelism working well, he noted, but game code is not similarly parallelizable. ...

The downside is, most game developers are working on Windows, for which FS compression has always sucked. Thus, they most often implement their own compression, often something horrible, like storing the whole game in CAB or ZIP files, and loading the entire level into RAM before play starts, making load times less relevant for gameplay. Reiser4's cryptocompress would be a marked improvement over that, but it would also not be used in many games.

Gamer systems, whether from coder's or player's p.o.v., would appear fairly irrelevant to reiserfs and this list. I'd trust Carmack's eye candy credentials but doubt he has much to say about filesystems or server threading...