-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brad Pardee
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 2:19 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: The Holiday That Dare Not Speak Its Name

I work in a college library, and in the course of cataloging (and
re-cataloging) older materials, I've seen this kind of name adjustment,
and
it never addresses the underlying issue of what people think of the term
in
question.  The best example of this that I've seen is "handicapped".
I've
cataloged materials put out by organizations for the "Feeble Minded".
But
feeble minded became a negative description, so we switched to
"retarded".
And before long, retarded was just as negative as feeble minded, so then
we
went to "handicapped".  And then "challenged" or "differently abled".
In
the end, the word changes didn't accomplish anything outside of showing
how
politically correct a person was because the people who looked down on
the
feeble minded were going to look down on those people no matter what
they
were called.  We changed words without changing attitudes, and
consequently,
we really didn't change anything of significance at all.

Brad