-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 2:47 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: The Holiday That Dare Not Speak Its Name

        We surely do teach our children not to use certain words, and
try to instill "acceptable attitudes," just as we correct their grammar
and table manners.

        But we are much more hesitant to do that as to adults; such
corrections tend to be seen as bad manners unless the breach is very
serious.  And the reason, I think, is that it's rightly seen as
presumptuous -- and presumptively offensive, in the absence of very
strong countervailing reason -- to tell grown-ups how to speak (or how
to hold their forks), and how to "develop . . . acceptable attitudes."