--- Sanford Levinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For what it is worth, I often say "Mazel Tov" to
> Christian friends precisely because the term, to my
> knowledge, has no religious meaning at all.  It is a
> way of saying "congratulations."  (I think that it
> literally means "Happy day."

----------

      not quite. "Mazel Tov" is Hebrew for "Good
Luck".  Tov = "good", Mazel = "luck".  Despite the
literal meaning, the phrase is used idiomatically to
mean "Congratulations".  It would certainly NOT be an
appropriate thing to say on Christmas, unless the
individual addressed had recently experienced
something to be congratulated for.

     No, Mazel Tov is not "religious", but it is a
Jewish phrase.  And unlike Xtianity, Judaism is not
just a religion, it is also a culture.  Using Hebrew
or Yiddish phrases is being very outwardly Jewish, no
matter how non-religious the particular phrases are.
Being outwardly very Jewish is therefore not at all
like being outwardly or evangelically Xtian.

     I will jump in to the more important issues
raised in this thread shortly.  Suffice for now to say
that I DID wish all my non-Jewish co-workers a Happy
New Year before Rosh HaShana, and they were delighted
(if a bit confused) and wished me the same.  Some even
asked for a brief explanation of the Hebrew calendar.
Sharing one's culture for a few moments is no more
intrusive than showing photos of your grandchild or
whatever.

~Rita

 I am unaware of any