Title: Message

Thanks, Greg. It’s nice to have someone agree with someone else on something. We are on the same page with regard to colleagues and friends. With regard to strangers, as I said earlier, I don’t bristle at Merry Christmas or expect Christians to self censor their _expression_ of celebration. But I do appreciate multi-Holiday or generic Holiday greetings  -- and I don’t believe that people of any faith who express such sentiments in religiously diverse communities are anti-religious or anti-Christian.

Alan Brownstein

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sisk, Gregory C.
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:36 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: The Holiday That Dare Not Speak Its Name

I appreciate Alan’s point and, as applied to a specific relationship between colleagues or friends, I don’t disagree.  I was speaking of the public square and of general greetings offered to strangers or casual acquaintances.  For Christians to offer a generic “Merry Christmas” to passersby, or while standing in line at the grocery store, or as a word of thanks to the person who holds the door open for them at the post office, or with a wave to a neighbor down the street is a positive _expression_ of religious sentiment.  To expect Christians to carefully suppress such natural expressions of joy around Christmastime whenever they pass into a public setting is, I submit, to expect a not insignificant degree of self-denial.  By contrast, when I interact with my Jewish friends and colleagues, my behavior is individually-tailored, not just on religious matters but as a part of our friendship and based upon our relationship.  In keeping with Alan’s point, I would not wish a Jewish friend a Merry Christmas or Happy Easter, although I frequently receive such a greeting from them.  However, I might well share with Jewish or Muslim friends my plans for the Christian holidays and what they mean to me, just as I welcome and often receive the same in return with respect to Yom Kippur or Passover or Ramadan.

Greg