From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:48 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: The Holiday That Dare Not Speak Its Name

        No doubt Eugene and I disagree.  But before engaging further does he mean that he would not refrain from using "hello" when he addressed the person in question or in general? Surely, good manners provides no reason justifying one person to silence someone's use of a particular term in general. But what about the particular case of the greeter and pathological reactor to the word "hello" when used as a greeting to her? I'm sure it indicates a lack of imagination on my part, but given our (unanalyzed to be sure) notion of good manners or civility, what conceivable purpose could be served by continuing to use the greeting to address her after being politely asked not to?

Bobby