In a message dated 12/20/2005 3:16:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
A liberal education and a willingness to get educated to make such assessments.  And an understanding that we always act on imperfect knowledge and understanding and an understanding that in some instances it is at least as important that things get decided as that they get decided correctly.
        A liberal education seems woefully inadequate to evaluate evidence regarding what is or is not science. When I taught philosophy at Northwestern University I was lucky to have taught some extraordinarily bright students some of whom went on to the best law schools in the nation. I would be loathe to entrust any of them with the task of assessing expert evidence regarding the nature of science before or after they graduated from law school.

        This is not a case of acting on imperfect knowledge.  Rather, it challenges the view that somehow judges have the capacity to assess expert testimony in science. That this isn't a new issue is irrelevant to the question of whether it is an important one.

       Steve's contention that the "ability to handle a wide range of subjects might be the very essence of a liberal arts education" depends on what "to handle" means. After teaching undergraduates for over nine years, I doubt that a liberal arts education can carry the weight Steve requires of it.

        Too often lawyers believe, erroneously in my view, that they can educate themselves in a wide area of subjects. This might be a professional necessity, but let's not romanticize it as anything more than that.

        In my view, judges are (or should be) trained in applying the endorsement and Lemon tests, not evaluating expert testimony about what science is.

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law