From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 10:59 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Religious freedom and 42 USC 666

    Doug:  I much appreciate your responses, and you may well be right.  But
I'm just not quite sure about the distinction between an objection "to any
behavior demanded of him" and an objection "to the government's behavior."  As
I understand it, his objection is to both, or rather to the latter through the
former.  He says, "I object to your demanding that I go along with these things
that are pursuant to 42 USC 666."  He's not just saying that there's something
wrong with the government's keeping records on him in room 666; he's saying
that he refuses to go along with what the government demands of him, because
the demand is made under 42 USC 666.  Indeed, in the process he's objecting to
the government's behavior, but the root of it is precisely the objection to
what's demanded of him -- something that wasn't the case in what remained of
Bowen, or for that matter in Lyng.

    Eugene