Eugene, I think one can cut the cases the way you did; but one can also cut
them the way I and Doug suggested.  To satisfy the Roys' objection to providing
the social security number, the government would have had to let them do
something different (not provide the number).  To satisfy Sherrod's objection,
all the government has to do is renumber the statute; then it can require him
to do exactly the same thing (pay the money).  In that sense, Sherrod's
objection is not to what he's being required to do, but to how the government
has acted in its own operations (how it numbers a statute).  I think that this
characterization, bringing the case within Roy, is preferable because it
explains the intuition that the government should win without resting on the
problematic rationales that (a) the government must/can show a compelling
interest/ least restrictive means in this instance -- i.e. it would be really
hard to renumber this statute -- or (b) the claim is insincere or a mist!
 aken scriptural interpretation.  Doesn't this eliminate the seeming puzzle in
the case without creating any problems?

My point overlaps with Doug's -- a regime allowing free exercise objections to
what the government calls its laws is not manageable -- but it's narrower.  I
think that Nothwest Indian v. Lyng can be seen as the government doing
something to the Native Americans, and not just as acting in its own sphere.

Tom Berg
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minneapolis)