Joel-- Thanks for sending this along.  I had not seen it.

Given her position, the 10th Circuit probably got this one correct under
standard ministerial exception reasoning. So the question is what to do
about the social harm separate from her particular case.  I have seen  a number
of these cases now, and women go into these positions assuming that  they
are covered by the state and federal anti-discrimination laws (and/or an
assumption that religious employers will not act unfairly).

 Could states pass laws that require religious institutions to make
explicit when a person is hired (for certain positions) that they are not
subject
to the requirements of the federal anti-discrimination laws?  I  know all
the religious lobbyists would treat this as offensive, but there are  enough
women out there who have been treated like this that I think state
legislatures should be thinking in these terms.  But I assume there are  those
who
would argue it violates some theory of autonomy?

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law