Rick--  actually, I did not say that the decision is limited solely to
selection criteria.   Rather, they are the Court's "paradigmatic" concern based
on the oral argument and the opinion itself.   And that the decision leaves
much open and makes the facts of any case critical to the outcome.

In my view the most important element of the opinion is in the footnote flatly
rejecting the jurisdictional bar theory.  Unlike the rest of the opinion, that
is a major clarification of the doctrine that runs against the arguments of
many religious organizations in many cases

Moving on from the opinion-- I think it is unfortunate that employees of
religious organizations don't understand that they are at risk of racial,
gender, and disability discrimination with no legal recourse.   It is a widely
shared norm that employers of a certain size can't discriminate at least in
those categories.   Would religious organizations fight federal legislation
that would require them to disclose in writing to the employees they consider
ministers/clergy that they have no federal or constitutional rights against
race, gender, or disability discrimination      while employed by this
organization?

 If so, what would be their argument against such a disclosure?   The
devastation to an employee who assumed that the religious organization would
not and could not violate their federal civil rights is troubling.  This
happens often enough to justify at least disclosure.

The response that this is a rare occurrence is empirically inaccurate in my
experience of hearing from individuals.  Religious organizations are run by
humans just like every other organization.

Marci