It is not just other constitutional interests that limit liability for harm
to children. It is also other public policies.

For example, in Missouri, where Gibson v. Brewer limits the church’s
liability to cases where they knew about abuse and failed to act, public
schools have no state-law liability at all in sex abuse cases. See Mo. Stat.
§537.600; Letlow v. Evans, 857 F. Supp. 676 (W.D. Mo. 1994); Doe v. Special
School District, 637 F. Supp. 1138 (E.D. Mo. 1986). And they would have no
federal liability unless an official with authority to act had “actual
knowledge” and made “an official decision” not to do anything. Gebser v.
Lago Vista Independent School District, 524 U.S. 274, 290 (1998).

The should-have-known liability now imposed on churches in many states, and
the should-have-known-there-was-an-elevated-risk liability that is often
alleged and sometimes imposed, goes far beyond the liability rules
applicable to most public schools.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546