Bob,

I think you’re right that these are the kinds of hot-button controversies
where state RFRAs could realistically come into play.  It’s not spousal
abuse or men marrying 12 year old children, as some of the commercials
talked about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ngnqGR6e8/).

Another point worth stressing here, I think, is that the situations you
mention make up a large part of the discussion but a small fraction of the
actual cases.  Elane Photography is the only case like this I remember where
the state RFRA claim was the ground of decision.  I wish these cases weren’t
driving the discussion, but that’s probably inevitable.  Maybe we should
just aim for state RFRAs with broad “civil rights laws” exceptions.  (Texas’s
RFRA has such an exception.)

To get to your post, I’ve seen claims like #1-#3, though not #4.  It seems
to me like there could be a “burden” on religious liberty in those cases.
Whether there’s a compelling interest will depend on the things that Eugene
noted earlier.  It would also depend on the facts of the cases.  If the
pharmacist refuses to dispense plan B but can turn over the job to a
pharmacist who will, then a religious exemption seems sensible to me.  If
not, not.

There are very real harms that are present in these cases, though they often
aren’t economic harms.  In Elane Photography, if I remember right, the
lesbian couple sent the inquiry a year in advance of their wedding, and got
a negative response from the religious photographer that same night.  There’s
no actual deprivation there—there’s no reliance, plenty of time to find a
new photographer, and the religious photographer apparently wasn’t cheaper
or better.   But there’s tremendous expressive harm.  It’s a terrible insult
to be told that your relationship, your marriage, your love is illegitimate.
Especially by someone who might be linked to the political groups that have
denied your marriage legal recognition and worked for your marginalization.
That’s a big part of what makes this insult really hurt.  But the American
tradition protects pure insults—the religious photographer who says, “I’ll
do your wedding because the law compels me to, but I find your relationship
morally wrong for the following reasons . . .” can’t be fined or prosecuted,
I assume.  So the rationale for exemption, I think, depends heavily on the
idea that in such cases of mostly expressive harm, the government shouldn’t
be overriding the religious interest.

Best,

Chris