Chris,

>From the Religion Clause blog and the organizations that I belong to, it seems
that most of the "action" is in government sponsored prayers (schools and city
councils), crosses and other religious icons on public property and schools
trying to teach the bible or crationism/ID/anti-evolution, with the kinds of
concerns that I mentioned rare. So my fear of RFRA's, especially the simple
burden ones, may border paranoia. On the other hand, the religious war between
the Christian right and secularists -- while not raging -- is a bit warm.  Which
brings me to your comments in the last paragraph.

Your comparison of the harm of "pure insults" (not protected) with the harm of
(non-economic loss) discrimination on the basis of religion has a lot of truth
to it -- both psychological harms. But the reality is (at least from my
Atheistic perspective) that "religious interests" harms are also psychological
(i.e., mental). Whether it's the 1963 Schempp prayer case or the Mount Soledad
cross case whose petition for cert is pending, or the student who wants to pass
out candy canes with a Christian message, if it's not money, its hurt feelings
by one side or the other. However, under current law, free speech insults are
not actionable but unwelcome contact with a government sponsored prayer or
religious symbol is.

The bottom line, in 2012 the Establishment Clause jurisprudence is a mess and
Free Exercise Clause jurisprudence -- to the extent that those who are asserting
the FEC rights are engaging in public services (i.e., as distinguished from acts
in their home or in houses of worship) -- is getting messier. What's happened to
the bright lines of bar exams questions? I have a good idea of what the religion
clauses should mean, but I'm fuzzy what they mean to nine Justices.

Best wishes, Bob