Alan--  These are public policy questions in my view, not constitutional or
RFRA-related.

As a policy matter, I would object to all 3.  The first is an unreasonable
life-and-death limitation to put on anyone's health insurance coverage.  (Even
Jehovah's Witnesses, who have in some cases, accepted the transfusion when
faced with certain death.)   I do not think employers, whether religiously
affiliated or not, (other than religious institutions) should be able to use
their religious beliefs to craft health benefits, which should be shaped by
medical science instead.

The second is pushing the cost of the employer's religious faith onto
taxpayers, who don't necessarily share the faith.  The third is yet another
iteration of permitting the employer to shape the world according to his or her
particular religious viewpoint.

As a policy matter, I think we are playing with fire when we encourage
religious believers to use government programs to impose their faith on others.
 Note that I did not say imposing their faith on "non-believers"--the issue
here is one set of religious believers (employers) using their power in the
marketplace to impose costs on other religious believers (employees).    That
is the path to Balkanization, civil war, and religiously- motivated violence.
This issue is all about respecting the distance and difference between
believers with different faiths, while encouraging peaceful coexistence.
For-profit employers may not discriminate on the basis of religion, and that
has led to a workplace where Christians, Muslims, and Jews can work together
peacefully.  It also has led to a system where employees are chosen based on
their skills, as opposed to their faith.  That is good for the marketplace and
productivity, and for a peaceful society of diverse religious believers.

But, as I say, these are policy judgments, not constitutional doctrinal
analysis.

Marci

1.  It exempted the religious employer from a regulation requiring employers to
pay for health insurance that covered blood transfusions.

2.  It provided insurance coverage for employees working for exempt religious
employers at the government’s expense so that no employee lost any insurance
coverage as a result of the exemption.

3.  It determined whether and to what extent the religious employer saved money
as a result of the exemption from the health insurance coverage mandate and
directed the employer to contribute that amount to a separate fund used by the
government to further public purposes that are consistent with the employer’s
faith – say providing food to hungry children.

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Yeshiva University