From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of b...@jmcenter.org
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 6:05 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Court Rejects Religious Liberty Challenges To ACA Mandate

The beliefs can be serious and strong. But that alone is not sufficient to make
the burden substantial.

Reminds me of taxpayer standing cases. A federal taxpayer generally doesn't
have standing to challenge appropriations because his or her tax dollars cannot
be specifically traced to the objection expenditure. De minimis. So no standing.

On the other end is Barnette -- where Barnette was compelled to salute the
American flag.

The contraceptive mandate is somewhere in between. The employer isn't forced to
use contraceptives. Isn't even forced to say their use is morally OK. In fact,
as Judge Jackson notes, can even suggest to employees not to use them. The line
unfortunately must be drawn somewhere on the slippery slope.

A lot of what I'm reading on the is blog written by those who oppose Judge
Jackson's decision sounds more like disguised whining than sound arguments that
the mandate imposes a substantial burden on employers with a religious
viewpoint opposed to contraception.

Bob Ritter