It's been several years since I commented here, but this thread called to
mind an everyday example of current federal policy protecting
communications made by both religious and secular persons to "clergy" of
many different faiths in one particular setting.

While this example surely raises myriad other issues at the intersection of
church and state (!!!), I mention it because it's a broader "privilege"
than any other described so far -- and because it is highlighted in the
current issues of both Navy Times (
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20131204/NEWS/312090003/Chaplains-provide-confidentiality-discussing-sex-assault)
and Marine Corps Times (
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013312090003).

What the journalist in the article loosely refers to as "federal
confidentiality laws" in the article are both the familiar clergy-penitent
privilege in the Military Rules of Evidence and the Navy policy on
confidential communications to chaplains as described in Secretary of the
Navy Instruction (SECNAVINST) 1730.9, "Confidential Communications to
Chaplains" (available at
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-700%20Morale,%20Community%20and%20Religious%20Services/1730.9.pdf).

Recent (Nov 8, 2013) military media releases have highlighted this policy,
particularly in the context of caring for victims of sexual assault in the
military (see, for example,
http://www.dvidshub.net/news/116844/chaplains-find-value-three-day-training-course#.UqFPvvRDuts,
describing Navy chaplains attending "a three-day professional development
training course . . . that focuses on pastoral care and the importance of
confidentiality when dealing with service members and their families,
particularly when involving sexual assault" and referring to "an official
campaign to help educate service members, families and leadership on the
importance of confidential communications with a chaplain.").

While the other military service chaplaincies are likely governed by
similar policies, the Navy policy includes the following, rather broad,
language:

The unconstrained ability to discuss personal matters in complete privacy
encourages full and complete disclosure by personnel and family members
seeking chaplain assistance. Such disclosure establishes a sacred trust,
facilitates increased morale and mission readiness, and benefits both the
individual and the institution. The Department of the Navy (DON) benefits
from having personnel and family members who trust chaplains. The
institution profits from the pastoral care given to its people. Pastoral
care can only be done properly under the protection of confidential
communications.

*     *     *

The term "confidential communications" includes the legal recognition of
the clergy-penitent privilege, all communications between Navy chaplains
and those who confide in them as an act of religion, a matter of
conscience, or in their role as spiritual advisors. Commanders and
chaplains are required to honor the confidential relationship between
service personnel and chaplains. This protection extends to all authorized
personnel and this obligation extends to all Navy chaplains.

*     *     *

The unique role of Navy chaplains includes a sacred trust of maintaining
absolute confidentiality. Therefore, chaplains are bound by this inviolable
trust. Neither the holding of additional professional credentials, nor
requirements imposed by state law, relieve the chaplain of this
responsibility. Any person authorized to use chaplain services is covered
by this policy.

Although they may be out there, I'm not aware of any formal challenge to
the policy on the grounds that communications to chaplains by members of
other faiths or non-religious persons shouldn't be protected.

  -- Bill Wildhack

Teaching Elder, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); Navy Chaplain; Member of the
Florida Bar
*Needs updating, but for some earlier thoughts I had on some of the other
issues in this particular part of the intersection:  *

Wildhack, William A, Navy Chaplains at the Crossroads: Navigating the
Intersection of Free Speech, Free Exercise, Establishment, and Equal
Protection. Naval Law Review, Vol. 51, p. 217, 2005. Available at SSRN:
http://ssrn.com/abstract=918901