Greg’s argument is obviously quite eloquent.  But I think it is telling that it
is really predicated on Catholic theology, including the “sacramental” nature
of confession and the joint duty of the penitent/sinner to confess and of the
priest to keep the confession confidential.  And, of course, there is rarely
any difficulty in identifying who counts as a “priest.”  There is an almost
2000-year-old institution one of whose main functions is ordaining a special
group of people who can engage in certain sacramental roles.  I’ve already
indicated that I’m inclined to be sympathetic to such claims because of the
theology they’re connected with (whether or not, of course, I subscribe to it
myself).  But I’m not clear why this just justify the broader privilege.  It’s
telling as well, isn’t it, that we refer to it a privilege attaching to the
“clergy” rather than simply to priests, and it’s not clear what it means to
call non-Catholics “penitents.”  If there’s a) no religious duty to confess; b)
no religious duty to preserve confidences; and c) a belief that breach of
either duty will generate some kind of divine sanction (including in the
afterlife), then I continue not to see the difference between, say, a rabbi and
a truly empathetic hairdresser.  Indeed, as suggested earlier, I find it
difficult to distinguish as well between a legally-recognized spouse and, say,
a “work-spouse,” let alone, of course, in those states that don’t recognize
same-sex marriage, a member of a “civil union.”  (I assume, for example, that
Texas does not recognize a “spousal privilege” of a legally-married same-sex
couple from Massachusetts who have been transferred to Texas to serve military
duty.  Am I wrong?)

I share Greg’s fear of the totalitarian state that calls on us to inform on one
another, but that is precisely the state we live in today, save for those very
few people lucky enough to be able to claim a strong testimonial privilege.
But, as in all “equal protection” cases, there are millions of others who are
similarly situated.  Is the solution to give millions more people such
privileges or to pare down the existing privileges to those that can survive
intellectual challenge?

sandy