Sandy's very provocative post is here:

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-elephant-in-room.html

As to which I would ask Sandy this:

As I read your post, the "elephant in the middle of the room" is that there
is an elephant in the middle of the room, and that the elephant makes
decisions on how to act, in part, based upon its history and perspective as
an elephant.

OK, but what follows from that?  Surely not that Presidents should appoint
fewer elephants.  If it's that Presidents should be indifferent as to
nominees' religion, I wholly concur.  (Indeed, Article VI virtually
requires such indifference.)  But that's not much of an issue these days,
is it?  Bush 43 did not appoint Roberts and Alito, for instance, *because *they
were Catholic.  He appointed them because he approved of their foreseeable
legal views -- views that were in part shaped by their Catholicism, to be
sure, but surely Bush was indifferent to the question of what the various
sources of their jurisprudence might be.