I wrote some guest posts for CLR Forum on "the Catholic issue" a couple of
years ago. They were based on a draft paper I have been kicking around for too
long. Perhaps there is no time like the present to finish that paper up. In the
meantime, my old posts are available at
http://clrforum.org/author/kevincwalsh/. For some sense of the problems I
sought to address in the paper, I've pasted in below the opening paragraphs
from the introduction to the most recent version. The paper looks at Justices'
votes in cases in which the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops filed
an amicus curiae brief (whether alone or with other groups).

Some interesting tidbits: There was only one justice on the Rehnquist Court
with a record of complete outcome agreement with the Bishops' Conference --
Byron White (appointed by President Kennedy in part because he was not a
Catholic). And although I have not updated the statistics for the past three
terms yet, I believe that there is only one Justice on the current Court with a
similar record -- John Roberts. Catholic Justices Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas,
Alito, and Sotomayor have all voted against outcomes supported by the Bishops'
Conference as amicus curiae. Among recent cases, see Arizona v. United States,
in which the USCCB argued that Arizona's law was completely preempted, and
United States v. Windsor, in which the USCCB defended the constitutionality of
DOMA.

If anyone is interested in offering critical comments on my paper after I
update it to account for recent Terms and before I post it to SSRN, just email
me off-list.

Kevin

----

Catholics have commanded a majority on the Supreme Court since early 2006 when
Justice Alito joined the Court as its fifth sitting Catholic Justice. And the
Catholic ranks swelled to a supermajority in August 2009 when Justice Sotomayor
joined the Court. These developments have resulted in plenty of commentary over
the past several years linking the religious identity of the Catholic Justices
with their votes and opinions. This commentary will continue as long as there
are enough Catholics on the Court to make a difference in how cases turn out.

There are three problems with much of this commentary. First, it pops up—and
will continue to pop up—in the same way that the Supreme Court decides cases:
one case at a time. As a result, commentary on Catholic Justices voting for the
outcome supported by the Catholics bishops in an abortion case, for example, is
not linked to commentary on Catholic Justices voting against the outcome
supported by the Catholic bishops in a death penalty case. And, predictably,
the commentary on Catholic Justices voting for the outcome supported by the
Catholic bishops in the HHS Mandate cases will not be linked to commentary on
Catholic justices voting against the outcome supported by the Catholic bishops
in deciding on a constitutional right to same-sex marriage.

Second, there is a curious asymmetry in causal attributions. It is not deemed
news- or noteworthy that Catholic Justices sometimes vote against outcomes
advocated by Catholic bishops. And yet commentators somehow think it plausible
to assert that when these Justices vote for an outcome supported by the
Catholic bishops, they do so because they are Catholics. For example, if
Justice Kennedy votes to uphold a ban on partial-birth abortion, he does so
because he is a Catholic; but if he votes to find a constitutional right to
same-sex marriage, he does so despite being a Catholic. This asymmetry was on
display recently when some commentary attributed Justice Sotomayor’s entry of
an injunction to protect the Little Sisters of the Poor from the contraceptives
mandate to her Catholic background, while coverage of her dissent from the
Wheaton College injunction regarding the same mandate focused on her gender
rather than her religious background.

Third, this commentary tends to ignore the legal and ideological coherence of
the particular Justices’ votes considered apart from their identity as
Catholics. Justice Scalia’s votes in abortion and death-penalty cases are
explained by similar jurisprudential commitments that align him with the
Bishops’ Conference’s position in one set of cases and against their position
in the other. The same may be said of Justice Kennedy’s votes in death-penalty
and same-sex marriage cases, to pick another example. Academic attitudinalists,
who view Justices’ votes as a function of the Justices’ attitudes, attribute
little significance to religion as an ideological variable. Yet armchair
attitudinalists in the commentariat nevertheless insist on ecclesial
affiliation as explanatory.